The IMIA is proud to offer cultural competency training to medical interpreters starting September 30, 2011. After much research on trainings available, the IMIA decided to offer the Quality Interactions Cross Cultural Competency one hour online module to its members. It is a great way to ensure that our members have the training they need to work in a healthcare environment.
"When I was the Cultural and Linguistic Educator at Cambridge Health Alliance, all our interpreters took this course. It truly improved the whole departments' cultural competency. It is great that for the first time ever this will be offered to individual interpreters through the IMIA. I took the training myself and learned much from it. I believe every interpreter should consider undergoing this training."
- Izabel Arocha, M.Ed, CMI, Executive Director, IMIA
Quality Interactions® for HealthCare Employees Non-clinical Course:
This web-based program teaches a cross-cultural, individual-based strategy for communicating effectively with diverse populations. This program is appropriate for healthcare administrators, office managers, customer service representatives, lab technicians, and interpreters – essentially anyone who works in healthcare but not necessarily in a direct clinical setting.
The learning objectives for the Nonclinical program model are based on the ResCUE model for culturally competent interactions and include the following:
• Respect and value cultural diversity
• Communicate clearly in cross-cultural interactions
• Understand and explore cultural differences
• Effectively engage an individual in a cross-cultural interaction
Benefits of this online training:
• You can do it anytime, anywhere, right from your computer
• You can stop the program and then go back to it later on another day
• It is not too long and is completely doable for busy interpreters
• You can add it to your resume under Education and show future employers that you have basic cultural competency training from a reputable source.
Quality Interactions Approach:
IMIA members are now able to take this course at a discounted rate:
IMIA Members: $60
DISTINGUISH YOURSELF! TAKE THE ONLINE COURSE NOW!
As a medical interpreter if you want to undergo this one-hour online training, please go to (http://www.imiaweb.org/ecom/pay.asp) to pay the fee of $60 and put under notes 'CC training'. That will alert us to send you the instructions to take the online course.
Upon successful completion, you will receive a certificate that you can post on your IMIA online profile. This course is approved for .1 IMIA CEUs. We recommend you list your professional affiliations and trainings on your resume.
© 2013, International Medical Interpreters Association
Find us online: