Medical Interpreter Training
Boston Area Health Education Center (BAHEC)
This course is offered each Fall and Spring.
Bilingual staff/volunteers working with MassHealth providers who wish to improve their skills and increase their medical terminology.
Training participants must meet all of the following pre-requisites in order to participate in the training program:
* High school diploma or equivalency;
* Oral proficiency in English and target language (to be determined during screening interview);
* Ability to read and write at a basic level in target language;
* Successful completion of language assessment tool that includes the evaluation of both oral and written skills;
* Knowledge and work experience in the healthcare industry with preference given to those currently working in the healthcare field.
BAHEC offers a Fundamental of Medical Interpretation, 60-hour introductory class for those interested in exploring the field of medical interpretation. This course is offered each Fall and Spring. Course dates for Fall’09 and Spring ’10 to be announced.
This program incorporates competency skills in: medical terminology, culture, and delivery of health care; and interpreting in the primary care/pediatric setting, and for mental health, domestic violence, and HIV/AIDS patients. A 15-hour practicum is required at a healthcare facility under the supervision of a trained interpreter.
Return to training listings
© 2013, International Medical Interpreters Association
Find us online: